Sunday 19 October 2014

No Network Adapter When Installing CentOS In VMWare Workstation 10

Earlier today I tried to get CentOS to run in my VMWare Workstation. Installation goes smooth, and finally is up and running.

Browse around a little bit, tried to update the packages, however failed.

Duh, no network adapter. Awesome. I thought I've made a mistake in configuring the VM networking settings.

Hmm, it is set to bridge, looks normal, what could go wrong? My other VMs are working fine.

Tried to run ifconfig -a, no network adapter listed. Alright, probably this is somehow caused by new kernel, I added the interface manually.

Still doesn't work.

Aargh, this is pretty frustrating. Time for some troubleshooting.

What I did was, prepare two VMs, both are installing from the image file.

One VM was set to Other Linux 3.x kernel 64-bit, the other was set to CentOS.

Yay! I saw my network adapter is detected in the Other Linux 3.x kernel 64 bit. But no luck with the CentOS selection.

So, what's the difference? Well, I pulled up the .vmx file within the Notepad++, and check for any differences.



The Other Linux 3.x kernel 64-bit has this coded into the .vmx:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

The setting is still bridged.

The CentOS setting has this coded into the .vmx:

ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

Hmm, I saw a solution. If anyone do encounter this issue, install CentOS in your VMWare Workstation using the Other Linux 3.x kernel 64-bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment